The School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA) at Rutgers-Newark offers a full complement of degrees from undergraduate to PhD as well as graduate and non-credit certificates focused on particular issues of public and nonprofit sector policy implementation.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Public and Nonprofit Administration
- Brings students to a deeper understanding of their roles as public servants in the context of civic engagement and public service.
- Provides students with the substantive knowledge, analytical skills, and perspectives needed to respond effectively and fairly to major contemporary social problems with a particular focus on urban issues that affect the community within which we live, work, and educate students at Rutgers University-Newark.
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Geared for those working in or preparing for careers in the public and nonprofit sectors, or the intersection of the public and private sectors.
- Provides students with basic competencies in the context of a broad understanding of the field with the option to specialize their degree via five concentration choices.
- Full-time students can complete the program in two years or less; Part-time students can earn their degrees in about three years.
Global Executive Online Master of Public Administration (GEOMPA)
- First digitally based, global executive graduate degree program geared toward public and nonprofit leaders with a uniquely international student group featuring a solid foundation of management and executive expertise.
- Simultaneous cohorts in seven regions – including Latin America, East Asia, South Asia, Oceania, Sub-Sharan Africa and the United States – each led by highly distinguished regional advisers.
- Earn a graduate degree from Rutgers University completely online with completion of 30 credits from 10 courses in only 2 years.
Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Addresses critical issues, especially the health of high-risk, urban, and underserved populations.
- Develops and applies knowledge from multiple disciplines for the promotion and protection of human health.
- Offered jointly with the School of Public Health at the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS).
5-Year Dual Degree Program (BA/MPA or BS/MPA)
- Makes it possible for qualified students to earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in five years.
- Designed specifically for highly motivated students who have decided at an early stage in their studies to pursue a career in public administration.
Dual JD/MPA (Dual Law and Master of Public Administration Degree)
- Each program will accept up to 12 credits earned at the other toward satisfaction of the JD or MPA degree requirements, allowing the student to complete the program in eight semesters, rather than the 10 semesters that would be required if the two degrees were earned separately.
- Students who wish to pursue the dual JD/MPA degree must apply for and gain admission to the JD program at Rutgers School of Law and the MPA program at Rutgers SPAA Separately.
Dual MPA/MACCY (Dual Master of Public Administration and Master of Accountancy in Governmental Accounting)
- The MPA/MACCY is a dual degree program designed for pre-career and in-career students that enables them to acquire professional competencies in public administration and governmental accounting within the context of public administration and public financial management.
- Offered jointly with Rutgers Business School.
PhD in Public Administration
- The PhD program in Public Administration is a research degree that trains students for careers as scholars, researchers, and teachers in the diverse and dynamic field of public management and administration.
- Through disciplined research, the degree seeks to expand the knowledge base and problem-solving capacities of universities, independent research organizations, and government and nonprofit agencies.
- The program has a highly diverse student body, strongly encouraging the participation of women and people of color.
Budgeting and Financial Management Certificate
18 graduate credits
- Provides an opportunity for pre-career and in-career students to earn a graduate certificate in the area of public and nonprofit budgeting and financial management.
- Prepares students wishing to enter a nonprofit or public sector financial management position or seeking upward mobility in this career track.
Healthcare Administration Certificate
18 graduate credits
- Provides students with advanced graduate studies in healthcare management and administration.
- Focuses on real-time, placed-based case studies so students receive cutting-edge best practices information.
Leadership of Public Organizations Certificate
18 graduate credits
- Focuses on human resources topics including best practice policy diversity and inclusion, management and leadership techniques.
- Provides a comprehensive review of all local states and federal policies that govern employment and employment practices.
Nonprofit Management Certificate
18 graduate credits
- Offers those interested or working in the nonprofit sector an opportunity to develop competencies in important elements of nonprofit organization management and performance.
- Explores topics such as nonprofit budgeting, human resources, strategic planning, and ethics.
Public and Nonprofit Performance Management Certificate
18 graduate credits
- Emphasizes how performance measurement- and management-based decision making can lead to more efficient and effective delivery of public and nonprofit services.
- Focuses on defining key performance indicators techniques for tracking them, and using this important data to make decisions.
Certified Public Manager Program (with the State of New Jersey)
- Designed to develop public sector managers, administrators, and supervisors into efficient, effective, and ethical organizational leaders.
- Explores how to effectively align resources and lead people to accomplish agency goals while demonstrating high levels of commitment to public service, personal integrity, and continuous learning.
- Offered in conjunction with The State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission.
Strategic Performance Management in the Public Sector (SPM)
- Explores the importance and procedures of performance measurement and improvement and the role of e-governance in today's society and public organizations.
- Examines citizen surveys in the context of government performance measurement and citizen involvement.
Certificate in Appreciative Inquiry
- Provides students with an opportunity to learn how to apply Appreciative Inquiry and the SOAR methodology (Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, and Results) for positive organizational change and innovation and strategic planning in the public and nonprofit sectors.
- Students learn and apply strengths-based leadership and innovation principles within in coursework and fieldwork and while designing an Appreciative Inquiry-based project unique to their organization or community.
Business District Executive Management Certificate Program (BDEM)
non-credit; online; CEUs
- Provides professionals a user-friendly, four-module, online learning platform that offers an exploration and training into the theories and practices that identify the multi-sectoral profession of business district management as a form of public-private partnership.
- Explores business district management as a unique form of public management that unites a community’s public and private capabilities.
Certified Government Chief Information Officer Program (CGCIO)
- Provides the candidate with a high-level executive management program designed to address contemporary IT trends at the city and county level.
- Raises the adeptness of the technology executive to provide leaders the skills necessary to participate at the executive table.
- Offered in conjunction with Public Technology Institute (PTI).