Appreciative Inquiry for Strength-Based Leadership and Innovation in Public and Nonprofit Sectors
The non-credit Certificate in Appreciative Inquiry for Strengths-based Leadership and Innovation in the Public and Nonprofit Sectors provides students with an opportunity to learn how to apply Appreciative Inquiry (Ai) and the SOAR methodology (Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, and Results) for positive organizational change and innovation and strategic planning. Through coursework and fieldwork, student apply what they learn by designing an Appreciative Inquiry-based project unique to their organization or community.
A Certificate will be issued to participants upon the completion of the following coursework:
- Participate in an initial two-day workshop in which students will learn how to apply Ai in the public and nonprofit sectors and begin to design an Ai project of choice.
- Design, conduct and prepare a paper about an Ai project of choice. The director of the program will assist students in project identification and design.
- Participate in a concluding two-day workshop featuring advanced Ai concepts and practices and interactively share lessons learned from the Ai projects and leadership interviews.
- The Director of the Center for Applied Appreciative Inquiry will conduct a monthly Ai coaching conference call with all program participants and will also be available to discuss individual projects as needed.
The program commences with a two-day workshop, continues with monthly coaching calls, and concludes with a two-day advanced workshop.
- Beginning Two-Day Workshop: June 6-7, 2019
- Followed by Monthly Coaching Calls
- Advanced Two-Day Workshop: January 9-10, 2020
Workshops are held at Rutgers University–Newark's School of Public Affairs and Administration at 111 Washington Street, Newark, NJ 07102.
The cost is $1500 per participant and includes all materials required for the program. Lodging and travel arrangements and costs are the responsibility of each participant. If participants register before April 15, the early registration fee is $1350 per person. Students who wish only to participate in the workshops without pursuing a certificate pay a fee of $300 for each two-day workshop. Participate in the program by registering and paying online here.
For More Information
James M. Davy
Director, Center for Applied Appreciative Inquiry
Hear From Students About the Ai Certificate Program
"For anyone looking to develop a strategic plan, make positive change within an organization, or for creating a culture of continuous improvement, Appreciative Inquiry provides an engaging, collaborative, empowering, strengths-based approach. This workshop showed that Ai is easy to understand, appealing to leaders as well as participants, and leads to shared visions and concrete results.”
Bonnie Granatir ’15 (Nonprofit Leader)
"I would recommend the Ai Certificate Workshop to anyone who is seeking a new way to see the systems and the people around them. I feel very confident that I can make a positive contribution to the groups I am involved in as I develop my ‘Appreciative Eye’ and continue to develop and apply my Ai skills."
Carol Miele ’15 (Community College Professional)