Skip navigation Jump to navigation

Complete or Add to Your Graduate Education with a Unique MPA Degree at Rutgers SPAA

Students can now apply graduate credits from another program toward earning their Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree at Rutgers SPAA through a newly implemented Degree Completion / Individualized Dual-Degree Option.

The MPA degree completion option at Rutgers SPAA is specifically designed for students who have started, but not finished, a graduate degree in a variety of fields related to public affairs. The individualized dual-degree option offers students who have completed a graduate degree in a variety of related fields to add a second, more management-oriented degree to their credentials. With either option, students can transfer up to 12 credits (4 courses) toward the MPA degree, reducing the number of credits needed for graduation to 30, and in turn, reducing the time and cost needed to complete the degree.

"Finishing or adding to your graduate education is often a vital step in the path toward career success," said Gregg Van Ryzin, SPAA’s Interim Dean. “We hope this new transfer-credit option within our MPA program gives many more people an opportunity to take this important step.”

With a wide range of potential relevant prior graduate fields of study – including arts and culture, business, education, environmental science, health, social work, and urban affairs (to name a few) – students can blend their prior academic experiences with the public and nonprofit management skills provided by the Rutgers MPA. SPAA MPA students become competent at defining pu­­­blic problems, analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, developing and communicating creative solutions, and implementing ethical and practical courses of action. The degree can be completed on campus or 100% online within two years.

Learn more about the Degree Completion / Individualized Dual-Degree Option, Request Information, or Join a SPAA Info SessionIf you have questions about the program, graduate transfer credits, or the application process, contact Aaron Gibbs, associate dean of student and academic services, at