Rutgers SPAA Scholarships & Fellowships
The School of Public Affairs and Administration offers scholarship awards to Rutgers SPAA students. The scholarships listed below are available to students in the BA and MPA programs as noted. Applications are due in the spring and scholarship awards are applied to fall term bills. Please contact the Rutgers SPAA Student and Academic Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
These scholarships are awarded to SPAA students based on the criteria listed below. Your personal statement should address at least one of these areas:
- Academic Success – Academic success can be demonstrated by a GPA of 3.5 or higher, recommendation from a faculty member, rigorous course schedule, paper presented, or research experience.
- Commitment to Public Service – It can be measured by professional or volunteer record of serving the needs of a larger community or career path focused on public service.
- Community Engagement – Students need to demonstrate a commitment to the greater Newark area by identifying how pursuing their degree will further their dedication to creating positive change within a community.
Student Eligibility Requirements
- Must have completed 9 credits in a SPAA program
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Must be an active student in the spring 2019 semester when the scholarship announcements go out and the following fall 2019 semester when the aid is awarded. Active student means being registered for at least 3 credits
- Students must be enrolled in fall 2019 semester for any programs corresponding to the award. For example, must be enrolled as an MPA student in Fall 2017 semester to be eligible for the SPAA MPA Scholarship.
How to Apply
**Applications for 2019-2020 must be submitted by 5pm on Monday, April 15, 2019.**
Be sure to submit all necessary documents when submitting your application; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Completed application form
- Personal statement referring to at least one of the three criteria above (no more than 1,000 words)
- Current Resume
- Unofficial Copy of Transcript (must be obtained from my.rutgers.edu under the Academics Tab)
- Recommendation by a SPAA course instructor. Committee members cannot provide recommendations.
2019-2020 Scholarship Selection Committee
- Dr. Lindsey McDougle, Director of the BA Program
- Dr. Rachel Emas, Director of the MPA Program
- Dr. Domonic Bearfield, Associate Dean for Student and Academic Services
- Dr. Gregory Porumbescu, Co-Director of the International Programs
- Dr. Pengju Zhang, Co-Director of the International Programs