SPAA Alumni Highlights: Academic Year 2019-2020
- SPAA Associate Professor Domonic Bearfield (PhD'04) was appointed to NASPAA’s Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation (COPRA).
- RaJade Berry-James (PhD'99) was inducted as a 2019 Fellow by the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA).
- Patria de Lancer Julnes (PhD'97) was inducted as a 2019 Fellow by the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA).
- Michael Dillard (MPA'10) joined the SPAA faculty as an Assistant Teaching Professor.
- Rosa Farias (MPA'08) was named Deputy Executive Director of Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) of New Jersey.
- Marc Fudge (PhD'11) was promoted to full professor at California State University San Bernardino, while he was serving as the interim chairperson of the Department of Special Education, Rehabilitation & Counseling.
- MPA student Sueann Gravesande (BA’19) was elected to the Orange Township Board of Education.
- Dean Kazinci (CPM'19) was awarded the 2019 Outstanding Manager Award by the New Jersey Municipal Management Association (NJMMA).
- Mirae Kim (PhD'14) was featured in Nonprofit Management & Leadership's "Best of the 2010s" listing. Her co-authored article “Do Mission Statements Matter for Nonprofit Performance?: Insights from a Study of U.S. Performing Arts Organizations," was named one of the most popular articles published in the journal between 2010 and 2019.
- Aroon Manoharan (PhD’09) was elected to a three-year term as a board member for the American Society for Public Administration’s Section on International and Comparative Administration (SICA).
+ Manoharan received the 2020 Col Leadership Award from SICA, given to section members who have demonstrated an active leadership contribution and a strong commitment to SICA’s mission.
- Erik Morales (BA'18, MPA'19) was one of three TheDream.US scholars whose experience with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was featured in an amicus brief to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Diana Negron (MPA'19) was awarded the inaugural 2020 Master Thesis Award for her SPAA capstone from the Students New Administrative Professionals Section of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA).
- Philip Nufrio (PhD'98) was selected by Democratic candidate Joseph R. Biden Jr. as a New Jersey delegate for the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
- MPA student Claudia Saavedra (BA'18) talked about the change she is making within the Newark community in a video documentary by The Aspen Institute
- Elijah Smith (BA'15) was appointed Director of Debate at Rutgers University-Newark.
- Shilpa Viswanath (PhD’19) was elected to a three-year term as a board member for the American Society for Public Administration’s Section on International and Comparative Administration (SICA).
- Jung Ah (Claire) Yun (PhD'18) received the Best Faculty Paper award at the 2019 Northeast Conference for Public Administration (NECoPA) held Nov. 8-10, 2019 in Brooklyn, NY.