Certificate & Professional Development Programs
The School of Public Affairs and Administration (SPAA) at Rutgers University–Newark offers a full complement of graduate, credit-bearing certificates, as well as non-credit certificates for non-degree seeking students, focused on particular issues of public and nonprofit sector policy implementation.
Graduate Certificate Programs (Credit-Bearing)
Rutgers SPAA offers a series of three course (nine-credit) certificate programs for MPA students and non-degree seeking students. Each certificate provides specialized training for pre-career and in-career students in a variety of policy areas:
- Budgeting and Financial Management Certificate
- Healthcare Administration Certificate
- Leadership of Public Organizations Certificate
- Nonprofit Management Certificate
Courses can be taken either online or in person during the fall, spring, or summer terms. All three courses should be completed within two academic years and with a grade of B or better in order for students to receive a certificate. After successfully completing a certificate, if students apply and are accepted into the traditional MPA program at SPAA, the nine credits can be applied to the degree.
The cost to complete the certificate is based on the cost per credit found on the latest tuition and fee schedule from the Office of Student Accounting, Billing, and Cashier Services.
To apply, and for application information and deadlines, see Apply Now (Graduate Certificate Programs).
Graduate Certificate Partnership Programs (Credit-Bearing)
Rutgers SPAA has partnered with Rutgers Business School (RBS) and Rutgers School of Management and Labor Relations (SMLR) to allow graduate students to count specific MPA courses toward the following certificates:
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace Certificate
- Public Sector Labor-Management Relations Certificate
Professional Development Certificate Programs (Non-Credit)
- State of NJ Certified Public Manager® Program (CPM)
- Appreciative Inquiry for Strength-Based Leadership and Innovation in Public and Nonprofit Sectors
- Leadership and No-Blame Problem Solving Certificate
For More Information
To learn more, Request Information or Join a SPAA Info Session. If you have questions about a program or the application process, contact Aaron Gibbs, associate dean of student and academic services, at email@example.com.